Thyroid gland is simply the butterfly-shaped gland which is located in front of the neck. It’s an essential gland of the endocrine system. This particular gland is usually responsible for all the cells consumption as well as use of energy. In addition, it regulates your growth, body metabolism and also sexual development. Once problems occur in this gland, you might have chances of either developing heart diseases, becoming obese and even infertile. You can also get the very exceptional chance of developing thyroid cancer.
Thyroid cancer is actually an uncommon kind of thyroid disease. Its causes are not exactly known but it normally starts with the rapid multiplication of the cells in thyroid gland. Nevertheless, certain risk factors also increase the chance of one developing the cancer. Once you’re exposed to these risk factors, you’re prone to develop this disease. Some of these risk factors include:
- Radiation – Exposure to extra radiation increases the risk of developing this cancer. Some of the sources of radiation include the X-rays used to treat the enlarged tonsils, acne, head and neck problems.
- Gender – Females are actually thrice more likely to develop thyroid cancer when compared to men.
- Genetics – The history of your family is also a risk factor of this cancer. You’re more prone to thyroid cancer in case there had been cases of this disease in your family.
- Age and Race – Those individuals who are above forty years as well as Africans are more prone to develop thyroid cancer and also.
Thyroid cancer symptoms include:
- Neck pain – Pain is normally a clue that something in your anatomy is not working quite well as it should be. In case you have neck pain which lasts longer than several weeks, you should try to make an appointment with your doctor so as to figure out what is causing it.
- Throat pain – Just like the neck pain, you should see your doctor if you have pain that doesn’t go away. It could be a possible symptom of this disease.
- Hoarse voice – Thyroid gland is just located below the larynx and is also known as the voice box. A thyroid nodule that could be thyroid cancer might be pressing on the larynx thus causing hoarseness. This is an uncommon method that thyroid cancer is detected.
- Swollen lymph node – Another symptom of thyroid cancer is the swollen lymph nodes in your neck. Thyroid cancer may spread to the lymph nodes that are scattered throughout the body to help you fight the infection. Lymph node in the neck may become swollen especially when you have a sore throat or a cold. For instance, once the infection is gone, they should immediately return to their normal sizes. If the lymph nodes in the neck stays enlarged for an extended period of time and yet you are not sick, you should consult your doctor.
- A painless lump which may gradually get bigger appears in the neck or throat
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
The symptoms of this cancer are usually hard to detect. The noticeable symptoms are normally caused by the thyroid nodules where this cancer is developing. In case you notice some of these symptoms or signs, kindly make an appointment with your doctor.
Notice: All articles are original by Please get off, Mr. Thyroid Nodules and Mrs. Thyroid Cancer (http://thyroidnodules.com.au), please make sure the original URL will be kept in reproduction.